A bay window is a window space projecting outward from the main walls of a building and forming a bay in a room, either square or polygonal in plan. While most bay windows protrude from a building, some bay windows are level with the exterior and are built into the interior of a room. The angles most commonly used on the inside corners of the bay are 90, 135 and 150 degrees.
Bay windows are often associated with Victorian architecture and were a part of the Gothic Revival style. The windows are commonly used to provide the illusion of a larger room. They are used to increase the flow of natural light into a building as well as provide views of the outside that would be unavailable with an ordinary window.
Standard Window Features
- Center panels can be either picture windows (standard) or fixed casements (optional).
- When casements are used on the left and right panels, they be ordered with 90° “washability hinges” for easy cleaning from the inside, and a multi-point locking system for increased security.
- Seatboards and headboards are 1-1/4″ plywood finished with an A-1 stain grade oak vaneer, including a vinyl exterior for moisture protection.
- Fusion welded corners (.080 wall thickness) with multiple hollow chambers for watertight strength and energy efficiency.
- Double strength glass standard, 3/4″ overall I.G. unit thickness for maximum energy efficiency.
- Ventilation latches.
- Platinum Elite™ triple chambered silicone foam spacer provides lower U-factors, sound transmission, and condensation.
- Window locks with Cam lock design and continuous interlocking metal reinforced meeting rails provide tamper-proof security and weather-tight performance. (Passes “California Forced Entry” CFE resistance test.)
- Sashes tilt in for easy cleaning from inside.
- Fully pocketed sill with dual weather-strips for a tight seal.
- Dual durometer glazing bead for a water tight seal.
- Dual wall glazing leg reduces condensation.
- Exterior glazed for added security.
- Contoured integral lift rail for clean, smooth lines and easy operation. (Not a snap-on piece.)
- Beveled frame and sash for a pleasing appearance.
- 1/2″ constant force stainless steel balance system engineered to never need adjusting and to provide uniform ease of effort to open and close your windows.
If you need some window ideas, we’ve put together a gallery of window inspirations: